Scotland international Graham takes his first coaching session
Published at 14:08, Friday, 18 June 2010
GEORGE Graham, the former Scotland international and current Gala coach, took his first session on Wednesday night at the Creighton club.
Creighton pulled off a major coup by clinching a coaching deal with Graham, 44, who was capped 25 times for Scotland and had three years as forwards coach with the national side until May 2008.
Graham will continue to coach at Gala but as he lives in Carlisle has made Wednesday his night for putting the Creighton players through their paces.
An estimated 25 players were involved in the first two-hour session and that number is expected to increase as his arrival at the club has created a lot of interest.
Chairman of rugby Ian Langley said: “There were one or two new faces there and also some younger players, who hadn’t seen-out last season, were back, which was good to see.
“Normally we don’t start pre-season training at Creighton until a week after the club’s annual meeting. This year’s AGM is on Tuesday at 7.30pm.”
Peter Small, who negotiated arrangements with the ex-Scottish international, believes the appointment will raise Creighton’s profile across the city and the county.
“Last season we struggled for players. Even though we put out two teams, it seemed as though the club was going nowhere. People are talking now in a more up-beat manner and we feel this is an exciting appointment for the club,” he said..
Graham will be with Gala on Saturdays so the plan is for Alex Langley and Andy Goodfellow, who ended the season as joint coaches, to be in charge of the team on match days.
Wigton were one of 16 North clubs to receive their RFU championship award at Rochdale this week.
Captain Matthew Atkinson and coach Nigel Beaty received the North Lanc/Cumbira championship award from Mike Brown, of the RFU North committee.
Whitehaven were the other Cumbrian award winners. Ray McConnell collected their Cumbria league champions.
Annan are looking for a new coach/player coach.
If you are interested in this position, contact the club president, Don Barty at DonBarty@aol.com or Committee@annanrugbyclub.com or call 01461 204562.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Promote Your Page Too
Click play below to see a selection of upcoming events. Click on the image to see full details...
- Summertime fun – on ice rink!
- Have you deeked the Potter page yet?
- Brampton woman abandons plan to become vet to set-up tea room
- Cockermouth golfer Ben Stokes off to U19 World Cup
- Beauty And The Bistro's
- Major new role for ex-GP
- Keith Denham: The cost of keeping Workington Comets speedway on track
- Cumbrian teen drug dealer’s assets seized
- £10m West Cumbrian leisure centre plan is revealed (1 comment)
- Brampton residents celebrate after threat of new homes removed
- Call to dual A69 road after head-on crash near Brampton (22 comments)
- Magennis crowned Cumbria Challenge Eventing champion for second year
- Vandals tear down Welcome to Scotland sign south of Carlisle (121 comments)
- Brampton Shops Announce Shop Local Christmas Prize Draws
- Fears Workington schools merger could rip the heart out of Moorclose (31 comments)
- Brampton Methodist Circuit
- Charles Ernest Oakley
- Firm but fair, Steve carved out a top career
- Young Falcon Nathan targets England slot
- Netherhall bag seven