Planning inspector gives go-ahead for west Cumbria wind turbines
Last updated at 11:26, Saturday, 05 February 2011
Plans for 350ft wind turbines near Cumbrian villages have been given the green light by planning inspectors.
Renewable energy firm Broadview Energy Limited has been granted planning permission for three turbines on land between the villages of Westnewton and Aspatria.
It comes after a five-day public inquiry held last year.
The inquiry, held in Workington, was called after Broadview appealed against Allerdale council’s decision to reject the scheme for Warwick Hall Farm last June.
Locals opposed the plans which were submitted in 2008 after Broadview withdrew an earlier application for five turbines.
Allerdale council turned down the plans on the grounds that the turbines would have a harmful effect on the landscape and affect local electronic reception.
Residents feared the windfarm would blight the village of Westnewton and damage the Solway Coast tourist trade.
MP Tony Cunningham also spoke out against the development.
Tom Cosgrove, Broadview project manager, said: ‘This planning permission comes at the culmination of a number of years of detailed site investigation, during which time the project has been refined to fit well with the particular sensitivities of the local area.
“We believe this to be a good project in a good location and we are glad that a government inspector has recognised this and granted planning permission.
“We will now look to begin construction as soon as possible with a view to exporting clean and sustainable electricity to the local grid network.”
The project is expected to generate enough electricity to meet the needs of 3,500 households in the region.
Additionally, Broadview said it will set up a community fund worth between £12,000 and £18,000 each year to fund projects within the local community.
First published at 09:13, Saturday, 05 February 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Promote Your Page Too
Click play below to see a selection of upcoming events. Click on the image to see full details...
- Brampton Methodist - North Cumbria Circuit
- Former West Cumbrian restaurant owner faces bigamy charges
- Barrow foster carer and former school governor downloaded images of child abuse (2 comments)
- Brampton Fairtrade Town Group
- Car crashes into tree in Lake District gorge
- Cumbria worst county in north west for rural bus cuts, says watchdog
- Five-year ban for Carlisle woman three times drink-drive limit
- Call for changes to dangerous road leading to school
- Cumbrian school with no pupils costs £8,000 a month to run (8 comments)
- Female sexually assaulted by man and woman at party