No Talkin Tarn swim doesn’t mean easy day for triathletes
Last updated at 14:31, Monday, 14 May 2012
Cold water kept triathlon athletes out of Talkin Tarn but they weren’t let off that easily.
The first Talkin Tarn Triathlon in 20 years attracted a full contingent of 150 competitors from across the north of England and Scotland yesterday.
They were due to swim 750 metres around the tarn but British Triathlon regulations kept them out of the water.
Organiser Adrian Sowerby said: “They don’t allow you to swim in water below 11 degrees centigrade and when I tested the water on Friday and Saturday, it was 10 degrees.
“The race has proved to be really popular and people were really looking forward to swimming in the tarn.”
Competitors started the event with a 1.5-mile lap around the edge of the tarn before jumping on their bikes for a 12.5-mile ride followed by a three-mile run.
First back was James Wilson from the north east in a time of 59 minutes 16 seconds. Just a minute behind was Carlisle athlete John Hore.
The youngest triathlete, 15-year-old Jordan Hull from Carlisle, finished fourth overall in one hour and four minutes.
Eleanor Haresign from Glasgow was the first woman back in one hour five minutes, coming sixth overall. The oldest competitor, 60-year-old Keith Forrester from Carlisle, finished in one hour and 25 minutes.
Mr Sowerby arranges events for Carlisle Triathlon Club and entry fees cover the costs.
He added: “Athletes always like to look for a new challenge. If you can run 10 kilometres, you can complete a triathlon.
“It’s not just about racing, it’s about getting fit. We’ll look to run this again next year and perhaps increase the field.”
First published at 11:30, Monday, 14 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Promote Your Page Too
Click play below to see a selection of upcoming events. Click on the image to see full details...
- Hospitals’ former nursing boss faces two disciplinary charges
- Rooftop cafe plan to revive Brampton's Moot Hall (1 comment)
- Looking to the future with a Child Trust Fund
- Trial and crucifixion, sung with passion
- Brampton Methodist Circuit
- Police name motorcyclist killed in Cumbria tractor collision
- Acclaim for Brampton model-maker's latest creation
- Family of florists are the best of the bunch
- Are Roxanne's sexy schoolgirl pictures in poor taste?
- Islands at war - Walney and Barrow Island in big RL derby