Locals to get first news of job prospects
Last updated at 12:28, Thursday, 02 June 2011
AMEC, one of the Nuclear Management Partners companies running Sellafield, will be holding a “unique” jobs fair as part of next month’s Whitehaven Festival.
People will be invited to ask about future employment prospects although the company stresses that there are “not lots of Sellafield jobs immediately on offer”.
Clive White, president of AMEC nuclear business, said: “It’s an opportunity to view employment opportunities within the company, not just in our nuclear business but in our natural resources and earth/infrastructure business which will provide global opportunities.
“AMEC fully appreciates the skills available throughout West Cumbria and we are taking this unique opportunity to offer the West Cumbrian people the first chance to view the jobs on offer.
“We will have our recruitment and HR teams available throughout the festival weekend for people to discuss the opportunities and decide if they wish to take things further. If that is the case then there is the opportunity for more formal talks in the future.
“AMEC has been a key employer in West Cumbria for more than 40 years and is proud of its association with the region. We’ve also been keen supporters of the Whitehaven Festival since its inception as the Maritime Festival and we are delighted to see the Festival grow into the magnificent event it is today,” Mr White added.
Copeland MP Jamie Reed praised AMEC for its initiative.
He said: “During the bidding process for the Sellafield contract big promises were made regarding jobs and local business growth. The AMEC jobs fair is extremely welcome , it should act as a spur to others and has to be the start of a process, not the end of one. I’ll give whatever help I can to make this a success.”
*Nuclear Management Partners will again be the festival’s main sponsor, AMEC is one of the ‘gold’ supporting sponsors.
First published at 11:07, Thursday, 02 June 2011
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Promote Your Page Too
Click play below to see a selection of upcoming events. Click on the image to see full details...
- Carlisle Airport revamp will boost business, says Stobart boss Andrew Tinkler
- William Howard closing early today
- Homes Under the Hammer visits Brampton
- Dragons' Den star quiet on Lake District hotel purchase
- Plea to back Brampton producers at weekly market stall
- Brampton primary wins county gymnastics finals
- Eat for half price at the Howard Arms
- Glowing Ofsted inspection for William Howard School in Brampton
- Petition calls for rethink of Brampton recycle site closure plan
- Town Twinning Plans for 2012
- Teenage Cumbrian motorcyclist airlifted after crash
- Man charged with having extreme animal porn images
- England place
- Prince Edward visits Cumbria's New Balance trainer factory
- Magic in the air at Cumbrian wood
- What happened to the golden age?
- Brampton Methodist Circuit
- Armed stand-off at Brampton pub
- Memories of Brampton
- Cumbrian MP David Maclean to step down at General Election