Lack of members leaves Brampton's Royal British Legion teetering on brink of closure
Last updated at 15:02, Friday, 28 October 2011
Talks over the future of Brampton's Royal British Legion are to be held as member numbers dwindle to just five.
As the town’s annual poppy appeal is launched, Legion members are calling for people to join them.
If more members of the community do not come forward, the branch could be laid down, ending the poppy appeal in Brampton.
Ex-serviceman Fred Chipchase has organised the appeal for the last 12 years. It raises in the region of £10,000 each year for the Royal British Legion.The charity works to support ex-servicemen and their families.
Mr Chipchase, 78, said: “We are thin on numbers. Our oldest member is Major Jim Penton and he is 91. Our youngest member is in her late 60s.
“We are getting long in the teeth. We need new blood.”
Anyone can join the British Legion, even those without an Armed Forces background.
Mr Chipchase said the remaining members of the branch will discuss its future at a meeting next month.
“There are two or three possibilities,” he said. “There's the point that if we don't get [more new members] we could stand down and that would mean stopping the poppy appeal in Brampton.”
The annual appeal is very well supported in the town with shops taking collection boxes and local people rallying behind the cause.
“We raise a large amount for the size of the area,” added Mr Chipchase. “Maybe Brampton is unusually sentimental towards the British legion and the soldiers of World War One.”
Mr Chipchase is also keen for people to come forward and help with collecting for and organising the appeal.
There will be a wreath laying ceremony at Brampton War Memorial Hospital on November 13 to mark Remembrance Sunday.
It will begin at 2pm, before a parade to the Market Place and a united service at St Martins Church.
There will also be a two-minute silence following The Last Post played by Brampton Silver Band at the Moot Hall on November 11 at 11am.
If you wish to find out more about joining the Royal British Legion in Brampton call Mr Chipchase on 016977 46070.
First published at 14:06, Friday, 28 October 2011
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Promote Your Page Too
Click play below to see a selection of upcoming events. Click on the image to see full details...
- Cumbria dad who repeatedly punched his ex as she held 10-day-old baby spared jail
- Flood tidal wave pours into home of school’s head
- Light from the darkness
- Anger over parking charge plan at Cumbrian beaty spot
- Three great starters straight from the Argentine pampas
- Crash driver was three times drink-drive limit, Carlisle court told
- Smoothing out the self-build pitfalls
- Shop-bought food not a patch on Brampton pupils’ home-grown
- North Cumbrian pub floods just months after £7,000 upgrade
- CARR IS ALL REVVED UP!
- Brampton Methodist - North Cumbria Circuit
- Karl takes on his own Kiwis
- Brampton Local History Group
- Penrith: Wednesday August 26
- Beauty with Julie Morgan
- Brampton Shops Announce Shop Local Christmas Prize Draws
- North Cumbria bears brunt of bad weather problems (43 comments)
- Good and bad buys
- Brampton woman abandons plan to become vet to set-up tea room
- Welcome to The Hut (1 comment)