Lack of members leaves Brampton's Royal British Legion teetering on brink of closure
Last updated at 15:02, Friday, 28 October 2011
Talks over the future of Brampton's Royal British Legion are to be held as member numbers dwindle to just five.
As the town’s annual poppy appeal is launched, Legion members are calling for people to join them.
If more members of the community do not come forward, the branch could be laid down, ending the poppy appeal in Brampton.
Ex-serviceman Fred Chipchase has organised the appeal for the last 12 years. It raises in the region of £10,000 each year for the Royal British Legion.The charity works to support ex-servicemen and their families.
Mr Chipchase, 78, said: “We are thin on numbers. Our oldest member is Major Jim Penton and he is 91. Our youngest member is in her late 60s.
“We are getting long in the teeth. We need new blood.”
Anyone can join the British Legion, even those without an Armed Forces background.
Mr Chipchase said the remaining members of the branch will discuss its future at a meeting next month.
“There are two or three possibilities,” he said. “There's the point that if we don't get [more new members] we could stand down and that would mean stopping the poppy appeal in Brampton.”
The annual appeal is very well supported in the town with shops taking collection boxes and local people rallying behind the cause.
“We raise a large amount for the size of the area,” added Mr Chipchase. “Maybe Brampton is unusually sentimental towards the British legion and the soldiers of World War One.”
Mr Chipchase is also keen for people to come forward and help with collecting for and organising the appeal.
There will be a wreath laying ceremony at Brampton War Memorial Hospital on November 13 to mark Remembrance Sunday.
It will begin at 2pm, before a parade to the Market Place and a united service at St Martins Church.
There will also be a two-minute silence following The Last Post played by Brampton Silver Band at the Moot Hall on November 11 at 11am.
If you wish to find out more about joining the Royal British Legion in Brampton call Mr Chipchase on 016977 46070.
First published at 14:06, Friday, 28 October 2011
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Promote Your Page Too
Click play below to see a selection of upcoming events. Click on the image to see full details...
- Brampton Methodist - North Cumbria Circuit
- Days in court recalled as prosecutor pens memoirs
- Keith’s having a laugh – no, really, he is!
- Saucy Cumbrian young farmers calendar raises cash for cancer charity
- From WWI body armour to the Brylcreem boy Denis Compton
- Suspended Cumbrian headmaster returns to work
- Bullies, bulimia and Barbie - Cumbria girl Deryn Green's story (16 comments)
- Diners enjoy gourmet experience on second night of Cumbria celebrity chef fundraiser
- Carlisle male voice choir closing because of membership fall
- Obituary - Dr John Parnaby CBE, of Workington (1 comment)