Ideas to raise profile of Brampton's Moot Hall
Last updated at 16:10, Friday, 01 July 2011
Plans to increase the profile of Brampton’s historic Moot Hall as a tourist destination and arts venue are being discussed.
Brampton parish councillor David Moorat recently met with the town business association, Brampton economic partnership, Hadrian’s Wall heritage and a local historian to discuss ways of injecting new life into the hall, which is the focal point of the town.
At a meeting of the parish council this week, members heard about the outcome of these discussions.
Mr Moorat said: “The Moot Hall is at the centre of Brampton, has a lot of history but is significantly underused and in need of some new ideas.
“The parish council pays £3,500 each year to the cost of the Tourist Information Centre which is only open part time April to October, but visitors now come all year round.
“There are concerns that information out of hours is poor.”
It is felt that the hall could be used as a venue for exhibitions and displays and used to market Brampton as an ‘ancient market town’.
Local groups and organisations are now preparing to take part in a workshop to share ideas on boosting its profile.
Representatives from the business association, history and walking group and the Brampton Players will discuss revamping the hall and improving the Tourist Information Centre facilities, as well as looking at signage and out-of-hours access.
They will also look at developing historical talks, tours, exhibitions and markets.
First published at 14:08, Friday, 01 July 2011
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Promote Your Page Too
Click play below to see a selection of upcoming events. Click on the image to see full details...
- The age before Google
- Council services under one roof in Aspatria
- OAP wins four-year fight with Carlisle care home for disabled ramp
- Our rapidly changing view of the solway
- Oche stick
- Brampton Fairtrade Town Group
- Brampton school's Masterchef winner revealed
- Kathryn Routledge
- National award nomination for Wigton delicatessen pair
- Laura Jandera and Andrew Sanko
- Hospitals’ former nursing boss faces two disciplinary charges
- Rooftop cafe plan to revive Brampton's Moot Hall (1 comment)
- Looking to the future with a Child Trust Fund
- Trial and crucifixion, sung with passion
- Brampton Methodist Circuit
- First osprey returns to Bassenthwaite nest
- Cumbrian RU aces can inspire future players
- Brampton blog
- Seaton woman wins modelling competition
- Police name motorcyclist killed in Cumbria tractor collision