Ideas to raise profile of Brampton's Moot Hall
Last updated at 16:10, Friday, 01 July 2011
Plans to increase the profile of Brampton’s historic Moot Hall as a tourist destination and arts venue are being discussed.
Brampton parish councillor David Moorat recently met with the town business association, Brampton economic partnership, Hadrian’s Wall heritage and a local historian to discuss ways of injecting new life into the hall, which is the focal point of the town.
At a meeting of the parish council this week, members heard about the outcome of these discussions.
Mr Moorat said: “The Moot Hall is at the centre of Brampton, has a lot of history but is significantly underused and in need of some new ideas.
“The parish council pays £3,500 each year to the cost of the Tourist Information Centre which is only open part time April to October, but visitors now come all year round.
“There are concerns that information out of hours is poor.”
It is felt that the hall could be used as a venue for exhibitions and displays and used to market Brampton as an ‘ancient market town’.
Local groups and organisations are now preparing to take part in a workshop to share ideas on boosting its profile.
Representatives from the business association, history and walking group and the Brampton Players will discuss revamping the hall and improving the Tourist Information Centre facilities, as well as looking at signage and out-of-hours access.
They will also look at developing historical talks, tours, exhibitions and markets.
First published at 14:08, Friday, 01 July 2011
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Promote Your Page Too
Click play below to see a selection of upcoming events. Click on the image to see full details...
- Brampton Methodist Circuit
- Brampton Shops Announce Shop Local Christmas Prize Draws
- Brampton Fairtrade Town Group
- 2000 Singers Come Together For World Peace Day
- Archery - With Real Bows and Arrows, and a Virtual Baby!
- A New Kind of Committee (4 comments)
- Big Wig Ball to help children with cancer
- Brampton residents celebrate after threat of new homes removed
- New events programme for Brampton Community Centre
- Loving memory: Sister presents parting gift from animal-lover Jane