Hundreds take part in bike ride in memory of Cumbrian woman
Last updated at 15:57, Friday, 11 May 2012
Two hundred cyclists hit the saddle in memory of a friend who lost her battle with motor neurone disease earlier this year.
Sunday’s annual farmers’ charity bike ride raised £3,500 in memory of Jenny Thompson, a farmer from the Walton area.
The cash will be split between Great North Air Ambulance and Motor Neurone Disease Association.
Jenny was a well-known member of the farming community who took part in the charity ride many times.
One of the organisers, farmer Steve Pattinson, said Jenny had been a great friend to many in the farming community.
Money raised last year helped to pay for new breathing equipment in the special care baby unit at Carlisle’s Cumberland Infirmary.
The cause was chosen after Linda Story and Luke Graham’s baby Caitlin from Kirklinton was cared for in the unit after being born weighing just two pounds 10 ounces.
Caitlin took part in this year’s ride with her parents.
Mr Pattinson said: “It’s a great community event that pulls everyone together.
“It’s a great release after a busy spring for farmers calving and lambing.”
First published at 14:05, Friday, 11 May 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Promote Your Page Too
Click play below to see a selection of upcoming events. Click on the image to see full details...
- First fish pedicures in West Cumbria (8 comments)
- Freak fire destroys West Cumbrian hair salon
- Mixed response to Metro
- Spotlight on rural matters
- £250,000 vision for revamp of city’s Rickerby Park (17 comments)
- Clive and Lorraine are the new Cumbria captains
- I’VE BEEN SCARRED FOR LIFE
- MP Reed leads calls to improve town lighting
- Identity cards will not stop fraudsters
- Retiring after teaching at Brampton school for 30 years
- Magic in the air at Cumbrian wood
- Man charged with having extreme animal porn images
- Cutting eating disorders down to size (1 comment)
- Cumbria set for Championship Shield semi-final
- Pike-maker remembered
- Walkers urged to fight path closure (39 comments)
- A guide to Brampton Medical Practice
- Clubs relegated to the Conference
- Play with your food
- Teenage Cumbrian motorcyclist airlifted after crash