NEW! Book of the Month Review - JUNE - Dissolution by C. J. Sansom
Last updated at 13:57, Saturday, 12 June 2010
Book of the Month Review: Dissolution by C. J. Sansom, Reviewed by the Brampton Reading Group
This Month's Book:
Dissolution by C. J. Sansom
This month's book is an historical who-done-it. It is set at the time of Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries.Robin Singleton, Cromwell's Commissioner is brutally murdered at the monastery at Scarsea. Matthew Shardlake,lawyer and long-time supporter of Reform is sent ,with his loyal assistant ,to investigate. They are plunged into an atmosphere of treachery and death. It is a superb story of detection with much intrigue and many twists and turns.
As well as enjoying the plot, the group as a whole felt that the book was well researched and Sansom successfully re-creates the atmosphere of life in 1537 -the vast difference between rich and poor,the lack of facilities and many more aspects of society.
One or two people felt that more description of natural phenomina would have enhanced the story but the group were unanimous in their approval of the book. All those who have not already done so said they would go on to read further books in the series. There are currently three more books available.
Join us for our next meeting - At Brampton library on Thursday July 8th at 12:30 p.m. when we will review Edwardian Murder by Diane Janes
Book available from Brampton Library - Opening Times Click Here
First published at 22:49, Thursday, 14 January 2010
Published by http://www.bramptonlocal.co.uk
Promote Your Page Too
Click play below to see a selection of upcoming events. Click on the image to see full details...
- Penrith: Wednesday August 26
- Future looks bright for Ulverston
- Cumbrian man in court for chopping up fallen tree
- Is this Fracking necessary?
- Shop Local: Find out what Brampton shops have to offer
- Go-ahead for over 80 homes on Longtown sawmill site
- Missing ex-England rugby league international found safe and well
- Hedgehogs save fish in west Cumbrian pond
- Facial attraction with summer suntan?
- Justice must be seen to be done