More to an optician than meets the eye
Last updated at 14:23, Tuesday, 12 June 2012
A group of professionals dedicated to providing extended care for their patients and clients have joined together with Wigsense founder Sandra Jones to provide help and advice to be distributed throughout a campaign to increase health awareness through publications, social media and information websites.
One of those involved is optician Eric Hagan.
Eric qualified at Bradford University in 1979 before joining a practice in the ‘cosmopolitan’ Walthamstow area of East London for his pre-reg year. From there he moved to Newcastle for 3 years before joining Steven Rowe in 1984.
After opening his first business at Longtown in 2003 he then returned to Brampton to open his second business in 2004.
Eric has always provided extra care and advice; recently he passed his Diploma in Therapeutic Prescribing and is now a Non-Medical Prescriber. Having spent two years working part time at the Ophthalmology Department of the Cumberland Infirmary he has worked with a variety of conditions, some of which could have been prevented.
Regular eye examinations can raise concern for many problems from cataracts, glaucoma and dry eye, to tumors ( which are quite rare), macular degeneration and some neurological problems.
Optic neuritis is the first symptom noticed in 15% – 20% of people who develop multiple sclerosis.
We asked Eric what advice he would like to give to our readers.
“Come regularly” he said “and bring your children from an early age, we start tests from 3 years old, hopefully enhanced services such as post-cataract assessment, glaucoma monitoring and treatment of minor eye conditions will be an extended service we could offer in the future.”
So it’s not all about designer frames, although they are one benefit of wearing glasses.
18 High Street Longtown 01228 791664 / Market Place Brampton 016977 42703
First published at 13:26, Thursday, 03 May 2012
Published by http://www.bramptonlocal.co.uk
Promote Your Page Too
Click play below to see a selection of upcoming events. Click on the image to see full details...
- Homes Under the Hammer visits Brampton
- Dragons' Den star quiet on Lake District hotel purchase
- Carlisle Airport revamp will boost business, says Stobart boss Andrew Tinkler
- Plea to back Brampton producers at weekly market stall
- Glowing Ofsted inspection for William Howard School in Brampton
- Town Twinning Plans for 2012
- Alarm over cough stats
- Air ambulance called to north Cumbria road crash
- Buyers call the shots in active housing market
- William Howard closing early today
- Teenage Cumbrian motorcyclist airlifted after crash
- Man charged with having extreme animal porn images
- England place
- Prince Edward visits Cumbria's New Balance trainer factory
- Magic in the air at Cumbrian wood
- What happened to the golden age?
- Brampton Methodist Circuit
- Armed stand-off at Brampton pub
- Memories of Brampton
- Cumbrian MP David Maclean to step down at General Election