Cumbrian Music on the Marr Festival success
Last updated at 15:15, Friday, 24 June 2011
More than 700 revellers enjoyed the second Music on the Marr event at Castle Carrock.
Artists included the Bhagdaddies, Sarah Gillespie and Sadie Jemmett performed at the event last weekend.
Despite the rain, some people came from as far away as the Isle of Wight to see the performers.
Event organiser Richard Johnstone said: “It was a very high quality event and it ran really well – no-one seemed to notice the rain.
“The volunteer staff were brilliant throughout the event, and they were up at 7am to clear things away on Monday morning.
“I even had time to sit down and take in some acts including Sarah Gillespie, which was a personal high point.
“This event defines to me what community spirit is about, and what it should be.”
As well as established acts, there was also a selection of local and emerging talent taking part in the Young Musicians Showcase’ which included Castle Carrock School Choir.
Running in tandem with the musical events was an artisan’s market in the village hall. Groups of local artists presented glass, wood and stone sculpture, as well as photography, ceramics, textiles, painting, and handmade chocolate.
Mr Johnstone says the positive experience made him want to put on the event.
He said: “Everybody worked together to make the event happen, and it went very well.
“Its really encouraged me to do it again.”
First published at 14:11, Friday, 24 June 2011
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Promote Your Page Too
Click play below to see a selection of upcoming events. Click on the image to see full details...
- Carlisle Airport revamp will boost business, says Stobart boss Andrew Tinkler
- Plea to back Brampton producers at weekly market stall
- Buyers call the shots in active housing market
- Brilliant hat-trick for Cumbrian rally ace Paul Bird
- Homes Under the Hammer visits Brampton
- Man ran off
- Election fever grabs Brigham school
- Teenage Cumbrian motorcyclist airlifted after crash
- Man charged with having extreme animal porn images
- England place
- Prince Edward visits Cumbria's New Balance trainer factory
- Magic in the air at Cumbrian wood
- What happened to the golden age?
- Brampton Methodist Circuit
- Armed stand-off at Brampton pub
- Memories of Brampton
- Cumbrian MP David Maclean to step down at General Election